Friday, June 22

And Now For Week 8 of Learn OCLS 2.0

First the Hawaii Flickr meetup - I wanna go to Hawaii! LIBRARY FIELD TRIP!!!!!!!!!

It was interesting to see people get together who met through their Flickr photos. People are making connections that I would have never dreamed of 10 years ago. Another amazing thing - I can't believe the park in Hawaii where the meetup took place used to be a landfill! Wow.

I've been using Flickr off and on for awhile. Actually, the dog photos in this blog are linked from Flickr. It's fun to sometimes just go and look at random pictures there. It's amazing just how many photos they are storing. To add to those stored photos, I posted a few pictures that I took of the library with the 101central tag, including a little close up of an interior concrete wall. Why? Because the texture is so gosh darn different. Who would think to design concrete to look like cedar?

For my searching task I did a search for a library I used to work for in Rhode Island. I found a fantastic picture of the Westerly Public Library that actually shows the windows for my former office. If you look at the bottom of the building, just above the hood of the white van, you'll see the two windows that I could look up at to see outside. My office was in the basement. The library has a great history dating back to 1894 - it was created as a Civil War memorial; it used to host boxing, bowling, and gym classes; it has a Victorian strolling park and an art gallery; it's a private non-profit corporation; and it's right on the RI/CT line (I used to walk across the street and eat lunch in CT).

I did start a Protopage, but haven't gotten very far with it. Love the protopuppy. Fetch girl, fetch! Good girl!

As for the questions about the OCLS Learn2.0 course: I'm really enjoying the course. I'm seeing many new web sites that I wasn't aware of before and learning how other people feel about them and use them. I also like the asynchronous aspect of it. My one complaint, there's just not enough time to look at everyone else's blog! There's some really good stuff out there.

I've helped a few people here and there, either through direct contact or responding to a blog entry. I've worked on my own throughout the course so far, but got help and inspiration from looking at the blog entries of others going through the course. As for Life.exe, I really like the description that ElectricBoogaloo2 gave. I would just have to add that I have a few random access memory errors from time to time, and you have to appreciate the ability to reboot and continually upgrade and reconfigure your system.

No comments: